Sunday, August 21, 2016

Burden

I was conducting the Sunday School class today and asked everybody to share their Bible readings from this week and doubts. Someone shared about the difficult to put in practice the Word in her daily life behaving as the good Samaritan.
I tried to explain that the good Samaritan is a parable made to show how far the religiosity of pharisees was from the the will of the Lord. That is why we had religious leaders behaving worse than a despised Samaritan. I told her that it is dangerous to read it as: "unless you become as good as the good Samaritan you will not be accepted by the Lord". By the opposite, first we should see ourselves as redeemed by the Lord and then be merciful to others.
I noticed that she was not satisfied with the explanation. She was looking to me as I was relaxing the Lord's will.
I told her that the Lord calls us for an abundant life, to rest in him, to have peace and joy. How is it possible when we are so distant from being kind as the Lord? The distance from her kindness to the good Samaritan, to the Lord's will, is a heavy burden to her. I myself know this burden because I was embracing the same reasoning up to, perhaps, 5 years ago.
I told her that today I can rest in Jesus because I really believe that I am in God's hand and not in my hand. I am controlled by the Lord and not by me. Even my sins are bound by the Lord. I mean, I can not flee from the Lord, I can not escape from his presence because I am his (as in Psalm 139).  I can not believe so much in my free will. My evil heart would apart me from the Lord, but, the Lord took my heart and is reshaping it.
She was still suspicious and told me she would meditate on this.
I really can not see any other way to combine the rest in Jesus and the burden that his words causes on me, unless I believe that Jesus himself is by my side carrying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment