Sunday, June 26, 2016

Birdman - film


I have just watched the movie Birdman from 2014, winner of the best picture Oscar.

Birdman poster.jpg

At around 39 minutes of the film, we see a dialogue between a father F and her daughter D, arguing about why the father wants so much to direct a Broadway play.

f -  I'm trying to do
something important!
d - This is not important!
f - It's important to me! Maybe not to you or your cynical friends whose only ambition
is to "go viral" .but to me... God, this is my career! It's my chance to finally do work that means something.
d - That means something to who?
You had a career, Dad, before the third comic book movie.
Before people started to forget who was inside that bird costume.
You are doing a play based on a book written 60 years ago... for a thousand rich old white people... whose only concern is where to have cake and coffee afterwards!
Nobody gives a shit but you!
And, let's face it, Dad...you are not doing this for the sake of art, you're doing it to
feel relevant again.
Well, guess what? There's an entire world of people who fight to be relevant every single day!
And you act like it doesn't exist.

The book "counterfeit gods" from Tim Keller talks about what people do to have success. To some, success is their god who asks for its sacrifice.
Her father will get his name, his identity, by the success of this play. The stress is so much that he is becoming crazier and crazier as the movie goes on. In fact, he literally looses his life on it, just as a nuts man that goes to hell.
It is so easy to loose a life, that David asked to the Lord:

Search me, O God, and know my heart!
    Try me and know my thoughts![
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment