Thursday, June 16, 2016

Authority

I teach in a public university. Every year there are strikes by a small number of people that pretend to represent the interests of professors and employees. In almost every year, the faculty where I teach do not adhere the movement, me included.

Now, this year, some faculties have paralyzed their activities, but mine does not, as usual.
Today, Thursday, the students in our faculty decided to stop for one day to discuss the directions of the graduation course and they asked support to the teachers, i.e., they asked suspension of classes for one day. So, on Tuesday, they came to me and asked: Are you teaching on Thursday? I said yes.
Today I was talking to some of them and I was asked if I had received an email from the representative of the students about the break in classes. I told yes, but I I do not see him as an authority over me. They told me that the students are not very organized and they asked me if things were different in case of a request from my boss to support the students. I replied: of course.
I see my actions bounded by the authorities over me. I do not see myself as a rebel - someone who thinks that has control over hist own life and has freedom to make his choices.
Most Hollywood movies has some romantic view of a rebel - the one who is brave enough to go against the system and fights for some higher morale. The problem is that the rebel in the movies can not define what is the higher morale, the higher principles. Who has defined the higher principles? His family? A lot of movies encourages insubordination to parents.
I submit to a hierarchy of authorities. God is the supreme authority, any decision that goes against Him is called sin. My boss is a lower authority and I have to submit to him. I can not see a student representative as an authority to decide whether I teach today or not.
Not in biblical terms, but reflecting some reality in my life, my wife sadly saying has some authority over me. That is: I can not mix two principles: 1) living with my wife till someone dies and 2) the husband is the head over his wife. It should be both, but for me it is one or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment