Sunday, June 24, 2018

yeast

"Watch out!" Jesus warned them. "Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees." Matt 16:6

A great sin that is present in churches is hypocrisy.
Let my Lord understand how to beware of the hypocrisy and how to deal with it because I don't know what to do.
Another preacher, Peter, told me he had fallen in prostitution. I made what I understood to help him. I urged him to confess his sin to our senior pastor and he did it. I was praying and keeping contact with him in order to help him not to fall again. My idea was that he should call me whenever temptation comes, however, I decided to frequently call him up too. After some time, it became apparent that I was calling him up but not vice versa. I was somehow making him confess his sins in order to set him free. One day he told me he had to destroy his cellular chip because some prostitute was calling him after he had made sex by phone.
Peter didn't confess his subsequent sins to our senior pastor that was keeping him as a preacher as he thought that Peter's problem was solved.
I denounced Peter's new problem to our senior pastor and asked if it was right to keep Peter as a preacher.
Our senior pastor decided that Peter should stop preaching.
Peter asked me if I had told something to our senior pastor and I confessed that I did it.
He became very angry and thought that I envied him and wanted his position. Let me be clear: I didn't attend any seminary and I don't earn a nickel to preach. He isn't paid too although he is a seminarian.
Peter, practically, has never confessed any more sin after it.
In some months (one year?), Peter was restored to his original position, but I never trusted him again. He never confessed his sins to the church. 
Should I say something in public?
His wife, Helen, pretended that nothing happened to her family and church. Why? I suppose it was pride. Before I arrived to this local church, Peter was the only one who was preaching once per month with our senior pastor. Peter, the seminarian, was the senior pastor's chosen one to keep the church after his death. I remember that I had a desire of supporting him (I mean, not financially, but in work) in my retirement, preaching with him. I don't know how many times I said this to Peter. So I guess, he trusted in me. Helen seemed very proud to see her husband as our church's future and she seemed to oppose anyone who could take her husband position. Her honor, dignity was in Peter's success as the new preacher. So, she would lose all her dignity if all church had known about Peter's adultery. For her, it was crucial that Peter kept silent. I suppose that now she is very disappointed with him, not only due to prostitution, but also because he confessed his sins to me. I tried to help her husband, but I couldn't. Now, I feel she hates me, perhaps because I couldn't be a great helper to Peter, and also, because now I understand a bit more of her wicked heart. Obviously, it is all camouflaged. 
The couple began attending a meeting in another church. The idea is to confess sins but with the explicit rule that no one should comment about other's sins. As I don't trust him anymore, I think that he is not being serious. It is a way to search for some cure by confessing sins in a irresponsible way as the other church has no authority over him. Does it work?
They began to take another member from our church, Diana, with them to this meeting. Coincidentally, Diana was the one who told me I was a bad preacher. She has problems with her daughter. I asked her about her daughter today. After some chat, she said that my sermons where mechanical, without love - the same critics of Helen to my sermons.
Perhaps, she was contaminated by the yeast. 
Hidden sins weakens the church because it allows the evil acting in darkness.
However is it possible to have really a church in the light, where the sins are exposed?  





No comments:

Post a Comment