Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sunday, the Christian Sabbath

Today, at Sunday school, I was reading the third commandment: Keep the Sabbath, rest in the Sabbath, don't profane the holly day.
After Sunday school, we have lunch at our small church and I was waiting for my 2 sons who were called to help in a church program on July vacation. I am at home for one hour, took shower and everybody is watching netflix, but me.
I am wondering what does it really mean to keep the Sabbath for a Christian.
Is it correct to watch netflix?
Do we have to read the Bible, pray, etc. all Sunday?
We are always prone to know exactly what the commandments say, so the Jews think that it is very necessary to have the Talmud and rabbinic teaching to specify very clearly if one may or may not use an elevator on the Sabbath, the maximum weight allowed to carry, etc.
Jesus teaching don't specify things like that. A person may or may not call an elevator on the Sabbath and it may or may not lead to sin.
I should have visited mr Shizuo, who is ill in the hospital, and pray for him.
Writing this blog or prepare the next sermon is another task very suited to Sunday because it put my mind on Him. It is possible to carry some weight with the mind on the Lord as it is possible not to carry anything and sinning altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment