Saturday, July 7, 2018

The parable of the older son

My sunday school class was asked to prepare something to dad's day on August. I really hate the time wasted on this human made commemorative days but my church leaders seem to think the opposite. Anyway, I decided to tell the parable of the prodigal son focusing the older son.
A lot of people in church behaves as the older son. I was no different. I will try to make them understand the Lord's love through this parable mixed with my testimony.
The attendants at church don't seem to have a new life full of joy and peace from the Lord.
I suppose they are like I was. I seemed to carry a heavy burden imposed by a cruel God. A god that requires a lot of things that I was not designed to do, a god that is never pleased and demands the impossible. A god that is always ready to put anyone in hell.
In the parable, the older son was always trying to please his demanding father in order to get some favor from him, but he couldn't notice any affection from him. However, his father showed a lot of affection to the irresponsible prodigal son. How could this happen? Totally unfair.
I, as an older son, couldn't understand beautiful testimonies about a great sinner who had a new life in Jesus. How couldn't I notice the Lord's love? I should as I was always trying to obey the Lord since my childhood. Should I waste my money with prostitutes and repent in order to have a grasp of the Lord's love? Is God really good? He demands a lot of things from me but He seems to be much more satisfied with other greater sinners than me... totally illogical.
However, one day I got it:
- my Heavenly Father went to talk directly to me and called me son. He said: "you must be on the party of the Lamb's wedding. You are going to the party because I want so. Rejoice in me and stop trusting in your good works.". His command is getting clear and clear. The Lord has been changing my heart and certainly, the Lamb's wedding party has already began to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment