Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Doctor Doug

A physician is supposed to have a noble character: sacrifice himself to save lives that are dying. In this real world, physicians are generally very proud of themselves and demand respect from others. My daughter was born with a serious problem. We were appointed by many others physicians to the same surgeon. It was very strange how he negotiated the price. He told us: the price is this one, in dollars (our currency is real), take or leave it. I told him that he was very well regarded, thus I would pay it. But something seemed very wrong. In fact, if I could go back in time, I would not take the same decision. The surgery was not a success.
Yesterday night we went to the doctor Doug' s house. He is a member of our church. His life is the opposite of most physicians. He has a lot of histories to tell in his old age. He was graduated from one of the most prestigious faculties, post graduated, became a professor in this same faculty. Thus, he was in position to be a physician for the wealthy, but somehow he was eager to help people in general, that are generally poor. So, he had to work for public institutions. He treated prisoners with tuberculosis,  took students to aid others in under living conditions, discovered that a famous clinic, devoted to in vitro fertilization, was also in the abortion business and left his job, among many other histories.
I asked myself: what is the secret behind those stories?
I would like to say that is Jesus. But he made a lot of things before knowing Jesus.
In some way, his secret is some kind of inner motivation provided by the Lord. Dr. Doug is eager to help others wherever he is. In other words he does not calculate the pros and cons. For him, helping is not a way to earn money. I must learn this.



I have just taken this picture in the university this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment