Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Rik

Yesterday, I had lunch with Rik, a ex work colleague from 1986. At this time, he was attending to the meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses. I had always seen myself as a more orthodox protestant, but, I liked to talk to him about the Bible. I thought a lot about the position against the deity of Christ. The question is: Is Jesus my object of adoration? For me, it is a clear "yes" and that is the position that more harmonizes with the whole Bible. 
Despite this, recently, I decided to share with him my comments of the Bible, so that he refines it.
He knows a lot about dates, places, persons, and those relationships. As he studied a lot, he saw many  apparent inconsistencies and began to think about explanations to these inconsistencies deriving some kind of deep Bible, I mean, information (really? perhaps hypothesis) that is in the Bible that only appears through solving the inconsistencies. Although I am not as meticulous as he is, I really find interesting his Bible reading. Certainly, I have learned a lot of Bible through him. However, I really put a filter on his information trying to absorb what is good and preventing what is bad.
His "deep Bible" may contain a lot of his own ideas creating a trap to himself. 
Very few people really read the Bible at our local church, however a lot of Bible reading does not automatically translate into more communion with the Lord. 
I pray that my friend finds freedom in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment