Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Psalm 95: lessons from Meribah

Psalm 95 talks about Numbers 20 when the people of Israel complained to Moses due to the lack of water.
They were in a desert. As they didn't find any water, they began to question Moses: "why did you bring us here? To die?".
Perhaps I would act as the people of Israel. I would say as the people of Israel in Numbers 20:5:

- Why did you make us come up from Egypt, to bring us into this wretched place? It is not a place of grain or figs or vines or pomegranates, nor is there water to drink!”

However in Psalm 95 we read the Lord saying:

For forty years they watched me at work among them,
    as over and over they tried my patience.
And I was provoked—oh, was I provoked!
    ‘Can’t they keep their minds on God for five minutes?
    Do they simply refuse to walk down my road?’

The Lord appeared to Israel in a supernatural way for forty years. It was expected that they trust in the Lord, but at that moment they were very focused on drinking water. The Lord was provoked by the lack of trust. How did the Lord reacted to it?

Exasperated, I exploded,
    ‘They’ll never get where they’re headed,
    never be able to sit down and rest.’”

I am retired now. I want to be able to trust in the Lord, sit down and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment