Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Isaiah 45: Cyrus, a pagan king, is called to deliver Jerusalem

 In Isaiah 45 we read a future event: a pagan king, Cyrus, will serve the Lord. He is called "anointed" or Messiah although he is pagan. He will deliver Jerusalem. This prophecy is very specific calling Cyrus by name. If I were a Jew, it would be very clear that there are nations much more powerful than Judah or Israel (Assyria, Babylon). Perhaps, I would question how the Lord, the Creator is really powerful because Judah is not so powerful and the Yahweh is his God. Isaiah 45 calls the unbeliever to understand that Yahweh is in fact controlling the universe. He is the Creator, He made earth and heavens. This chapter finishes with a calling to trust in the Lord who is the only One who provides salvation:

22
Turn to me and be saved, all who live at the ends of the earth,
    because I am El, and there is no other.
23
I have bound myself with an oath.
    A word has gone out from my righteous mouth
    that will not be recalled,
        “Every knee will bow to me
            and every tongue will swear allegiance.”
24
It will be said of me,
    “Certainly, righteousness and strength are found in Yahweh alone.”

All who are angry with him will come to him and be ashamed.
25
All the descendants of Israel will be declared righteous,
    and they will praise Yahweh.

No comments:

Post a Comment