Friday, January 12, 2024

Isaiah 37: the angel of the Lord vs the king of Assyria

 In Isaiah 37 we see:


King Hezekiah presented the case before the Lord. He could take it more personally, and tried to deal with it, but he "just" prayed:


16“O LORD of Hosts, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, You alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You made the heavens and the earth. 17Incline Your ear, O LORD, and hear; open Your eyes, O LORD, and see. Listen to all the words that Sennacherib has sent to defy the living God.


18Truly, O LORD, the kings of Assyria have laid waste all these countries and their lands. 19They have cast their gods into the fire and destroyed them, for they were not gods, but only wood and stone—the work of human hands.


20And now, O LORD our God, save us from his hand, so that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that You alone, O LORD, are God.c”



The Lord answered him through the prophet Isaiah. The Lord said words directly to the king of Assyria:


23Whom have you taunted and blasphemed?


Against whom have you raised your voice


and lifted your eyes in pride?


Against the Holy One of Israel!


24Through your servants you have taunted the Lord,


and you have said:


“With my many chariots


I have ascended


to the heights of the mountains,


to the remote peaks of Lebanon.


I have cut down its tallest cedars,


the finest of its cypresses.d


I have reached its farthest heights,


the densest of its forests.


25I have dug wells


and drunk foreigne waters.


With the soles of my feet


I have dried up all the streams of Egypt.”



The Lord says that nothing is going out his plan:


26Have you not heard?


Long ago I ordained it;


in days of old I planned it.


Now I have brought it to pass,


that you should crush fortified cities


into piles of rubble



The Lord threats the king of Assyria:


28But I know your sitting down,


your going out and coming in,


and your raging against Me.


29Because your rage and arrogance against Me


have reached My ears,


I will put My hook in your nose


and My bit in your mouth;


I will send you back


the way you came.’


The angel of the Lord struck down 185K Assyrians. The king of Assyria, Sennacherib, returned to Nineveh where his sons murdered him in the pagan temple.


No comments:

Post a Comment