Friday, January 19, 2024

Isaiah 42: connecting Jesus and Israel

 


Isaiah 42 points to Jesus because it says about the Servant of the Lord:


1 Here is my Ebed, whom I support.

    Here is my chosen one, with whom I am pleased.

    I have put my Ruach on him.

    He will bring justice to the nations.


This is what Yahweh El says:


6 I, Yahweh, have called you to do what is right.

    I will take hold of your hand.

    I will protect you.

    I will appoint you as my promise[a] to the people,

        as my light to the nations.

7             You will give sight to the blind,

                bring prisoners out of prisons,

                    and bring those who live in darkness

    out of dungeons.

8 I am Yahweh; that is my name.

    I will not give my glory to anyone else

        or the praise I deserve to idols.

9 What I said in the past has come true.

    I will reveal new things before they happen.



However Isaiah 42 talks about another servant:


18 Listen, you deaf people.

    Look, you blind people, so that you can see.

19 Who is blind except my servant

    or deaf like the messenger I send?

    Who is blind like the one who has my trust

    or blind like the servant of Yahweh?

20 You have seen much, but you do not observe anything.

    Your ears are open, but you hear nothing.


This servant is blind but it doesn't fit verse 7. I understand that Isaiah is talking about two servants: Jesus at first and then Israel. It is very interesting that Israel was called in a similar way as verses 6,7. In the New Testament we prophecies that mix Israel ("called form Egypt") and Jesus. In a way, Jesus is Israel according to the Word of the Lord.     


No comments:

Post a Comment