Wednesday, July 19, 2023

psalm 141: a king's prayer

 In Psalm 141 we read:


3-7 Post a guard at my mouth, God,

    set a watch at the door of my lips.

Don’t let me so much as dream of evil

    or thoughtlessly fall into bad company.

And these people who only do wrong—

    don’t let them lure me with their sweet talk!

May the Just One set me straight,

    may the Kind One correct me,

Don’t let sin anoint my head.

    I’m praying hard against their evil ways!

Oh, let their leaders be pushed off a high rock cliff;

    make them face the music.

Like a rock pulverized by a maul,

    let their bones be scattered at the gates of hell.


A king is commonly surrounded by flattering people who wants some king's favors. A king is also tempted to govern in his own benefit. David wants to please the Lord above himself. He prays that his words are pleasing to the Lord. He prays that the Lord protects him form sweet talk. He also prays that the Lord makes him straight, corrects him. Blessed are the people who has a king with theses thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment