Saturday, May 12, 2018

A very strange music

Every Saturday, I visit my parents. Dad is 80 years old and Mammy, 84, with Alzheimer.
Today, as soon I and my wife arrived, Dad told us:
- I do not know how it is possible that some strange music plays day and night. It is so disturbing.
- What kind of music is it?
- It must be targeted to annoy me. It says something like: You are dying, you are dying; Your son has already died, died ...
- Is there another one who can listen it?
- Your mammy can.
- But, is there someone besides mammy who can listen to it? Does my brother listen (because he and his family are supporting my parents)? I asked my brother: Do you listen this music?
- No, I can not listen anything.
I realized it must be something from his mind or from the devil, so I asked my father to read Psalm 23:
4. Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.

I paraphrased to him:
- Even though I listen to this strange music, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff comfort me (because I notice you are protecting me).
But, dad was much more aggressive and upset today. Perhaps, he thought I was not in fact making anything to stop the music; that I was just saying empty words. I asked him: do you pray for deliverance? He was anger and did not want to answer me, and after he said something like: "of course!" but it was not very convincing.
Then, I told him about oppression by the devil. Jesus came to deliver the oppressed whenever this oppression were real or not real.
I remembered him about my own oppression when I was a teenager: I was bullied and alone. Who would be a friend of a bullied guy? However I had something: hope that it would be over someday. The lacking of hope leads to despair but by other hand, if we know that we will be, for sure,  delivered from oppression, then we get strength to support it. In Jesus we have hope.
Certainly, I told him, you are going to die, me too; so is the music wrong?
And yet, it is wrong because Jesus said:

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”


So the music is right, and it is wrong, who cares? Why pay attention to it?
I think that these last words made him rethink and be more still.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment