Sunday, April 29, 2018

Neither poor, nor rich

We read in proverbs 30:8-9:

Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
9Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

I live in a world that requires a lot more than food, clothes and a shelter: children's education, medical care, etc. I am always tempted to accumulate more money in order to deal with my retirement and with my children problems. For me, I would like to have a pile of riches that reaches the sky. Am I too greedy or am I just a prudent man?
Here, he asks: Lord, prevent me to have so much riches that I depart from seeking your help, your sustain. By other hand, Lord give me what I need to live so that I do not sin against you.
The Lord has blessed me: I have food, clothes, a house, and many other things. I have more money than necessary to keep life going. This world teaches that we must search for more and more, but Jesus teaches that we must be satisfied. This world enslaves me but Jesus sets me free. I really make some effort to be grateful to small things: even for the pleasure of staring clouds in the sky.
I pray:
"Father, you provided me with job and some ability to deal with money. So far, you have sustained me; certainly I have much more than I need to everyday costs. You gave me life and what I have now. Let me be wise to be your faithful slave so that I deal with money as you, my Lord, wishes. Do let me be greedy. Do not let me be enslaved by Mamon".

No comments:

Post a Comment