Friday, November 17, 2023

Isaiah 10: Assyria is an instrument of the Lord, but has wrong purposes.

In Isaiah 10 we read:


5 Woe to Assyria, the rod of My anger

And the staff in whose hands is My indignation,

6 I send it against a godless nation

And commission it against the people of My fury

To capture spoils and to seize plunder,

And to trample them down like mud in the streets.

7 Yet it does not so intend,

Nor does it plan so in its heart,

But rather it is its purpose to destroy

And to eliminate many nations.


The sovereign Lord uses Assyria as his instrument: the rod of his anger; however Assyria don't see herself in this way. She is very arrogant. She relies in her officers and says:


Are not my officers all kings?


Her king says:


13 By the power of my hand and by my wisdom I did this,

Because I have understanding;

And I removed the boundaries of the peoples

And plundered their treasures,

And like a powerful man I brought down [l]their inhabitants,


Assyria disdains of the other nations nations, inclusive of Jerusalem and Samaria v11. 


The Lord will punish Assyria:


16 Therefore the Lord, the God of armies, will send a wasting disease among his stout warriors;

And under his glory a fire will be kindled like a burning flame.


The Lord loves Jacob. He promised:


20 Now on that day the remnant of Israel, and those of the house of Jacob who have escaped, will no longer rely on the one who struck them, but will truly rely on the Lord, the Holy One of Israel.


No comments:

Post a Comment