Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Psalm71: do not abandon me, O Elohim.

 I got angry whenever a pastor says: "Are you sure of your salvation?" because it seems to imply that this assurance is what leads to salvation. 

In Psalm 71, the psalmist prays: "do not abandon me, O Elohim.", "Do not reject me when I am old or abandon me when I lose my strength.", "O Elohim, do not be so distant from me.", "O my Elohim, come quickly to help me.", "Rescue me and free me because of your righteousness.", "Turn your ear toward me, and save me.". Is the psalmist sure of his salvation? How many times I (with my theology) have prayed in a similar way? I don't remember praying like that in my whole life even though I coudln't "feel" the Lord next to me many times in my life.

By other hand, we also read in Psalm 71: "I have taken refuge in you, O Yahweh.  Never let me be put to shame. ", "You gave the order to save me! Indeed, you are my rock and my Metsuda.", "You are my hope, O Adonay Yahweh. You have been my confidence ever since I was young.", "I depended on you before I was born. You took me from my mother’s womb. My songs of praise constantly speak about you.". These statements seems more appropriate for the believer according to our nowdays theology. Even though, how many times, did I pray something similar? Perhaps one or another time. In the same psalm, the psalmist asks for salvation and praises the Lord for his salvation. Why? Because he put all bets on the Lord. If the Lord fails on him, he will be ashamed before others. Due to this bet, if the Lord exalts him, the name of the Lord will also be exalted. He praises the Lord for his salvation, but he also keeps asking the Lord to stay by his side even on old ages and when will lose his strentgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment