Friday, January 13, 2023

Questioning the Lord's justice to the Lord

In Psalm 44:20-22, we read in MSG:

If we had forgotten to pray to our God

    or made fools of ourselves with store-bought gods,

Wouldn’t God have figured this out?

    We can’t hide things from him.

No, you decided to make us martyrs,

    lambs assigned for sacrifice each day.


The psalmist remembers how the Lord was with Israel through his victories, but now, the Lord seems absent in face of so much defeat. Why these defeats are happening? The psalmist doesn't know but he questions what the Lord is doing.

If psalms are a model for Christians to pray, I can't remember of questioning the Lord's justice when praying to the Lord. I have a very normal prayer: Lord thank you for X ; please provide me Y, etc. I want to be more open to the Lord despite looking pious or not. I want to pray as the psalmist prays because I want to see the Lord present in my life. I don't want to see the Lord as a mental abstraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment