Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Jeremiah 17: don't look your heart, it is deceitful

 In Jeremiah 17 we read:
1-2 “Judah’s sin is engraved
    with a steel chisel,
A steel chisel with a diamond point—
    engraved on their granite hearts,
    engraved on the stone corners of their altars.
The evidence against them is plain to see:
    sex-and-religion altars and sacred sex shrines
Anywhere there’s a grove of trees,
    anywhere there’s an available hill.

The idolatry (with sex shrines) is engraved in Judah. The Lord will punish Judah:

3-4 “I’ll use your mountains as roadside stands
    for giving away everything you have.
All your ‘things’ will serve as reparations
    for your sins all over the country.
You’ll lose your gift of land,
    The inheritance I gave you.
I’ll make you slaves of your enemies
    in a far-off and strange land.
My anger is hot and blazing and fierce,
    and no one will put it out.”

We understand that the Lord removed the idolatry through the Babylonian captivity.
The Lord sets a cursing and a blessing to his people:

5-6 God’s Message:

“Cursed is the strong one
    who depends on mere humans,
Who thinks he can make it on muscle alone
    and sets God aside as dead weight.
He’s like a tumbleweed on the prairie,
    out of touch with the good earth.
He lives rootless and aimless
    in a land where nothing grows.

7-8 “But blessed is the man who trusts me, God,
    the woman who sticks with God.
They’re like trees replanted in Eden,
    putting down roots near the rivers—
Never a worry through the hottest of summers,
    never dropping a leaf,
Serene and calm through droughts,
    bearing fresh fruit every season.

Is this blessing and cursing today? In the New Testament, Jesus sets a blessing and cursing after the Sermon of the Mound in Matthew 7. Certainly that this blessing and cursing is valid to we Christians.
It is so easy to say that we depend on the Lord (and we are to be blessed) when in fact, not, because:

9-10 “The heart is hopelessly dark and deceitful,
    a puzzle that no one can figure out.
But I, God, search the heart
    and examine the mind.
I get to the heart of the human.
    I get to the root of things.
I treat them as they really are,
    not as they pretend to be.”

This is one more point to believe that "fear of the Lord" is in fact "fear" and not simply respect. The blessings and cursings must cause some kind of apprehension, fear. We must check: Do I really trust the Lord? It is impossible to believe that I trust in the Lord looking my heart only (because it is deceitful). I need a greater belief: I need Jesus as my Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment