Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Proverbs 27: become wise and make me happy!

 In Proverbs 27 we read:

1 Don’t brashly announce what you’re going to do tomorrow;

    you don’t know the first thing about tomorrow.


2 Don’t call attention to yourself;

    let others do that for you.


> I was very happy when I retired, but I have always to keep in mind that my future and my rest is in the Lord's hand. In fact, I will only enjoy my retirement if the Lord provides me health.


7 When you’ve stuffed yourself, you refuse dessert;

    when you’re starved, you could eat a horse.


> This happens when investing money: the one who is satisfied with his earnings may act much more cautiously (refusing other investments, jobs, etc.) than the one who is in bad position. 

    

8 People who won’t settle down, wandering hither and yon,

    are like restless birds, flitting to and fro.


> A person who stays for a long time far from his home can´t preserve relationships. 


11 Become wise, dear child, and make me happy;

    then nothing the world throws my way will upset me.


> The Lord asks me, his child, to be wise. He is happy when I make wise decisions.


23-27 Know your sheep by name;

    carefully attend to your flocks;

(Don’t take them for granted;

    possessions don’t last forever, you know.)

And then, when the crops are in

    and the harvest is stored in the barns,

You can knit sweaters from lambs’ wool,

    and sell your goats for a profit;

There will be plenty of milk and meat

    to last your family through the winter.


> The good Shepherd knows his sheep by name. He also wants us to take care of our sheep (children, employees, students) individually. This will bring prosperity.    


No comments:

Post a Comment