Friday, May 24, 2024

Lamentations 1: Jerusalem is destroyed due to her sins; however, something is wrong.

 In Lamentations 1 we see Jerusalem as a woman who cries due to the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians:

1 Oh, oh, oh . . . 
How empty the city, once teeming with people.
    A widow, this city, once in the front rank of nations,
    once queen of the ball, she’s now a drudge in the kitchen.

2 She cries herself to sleep each night, tears soaking her pillow.
    No one’s left among her lovers to sit and hold her hand.
    Her friends have all dumped her.


The suffering is a punishment for her sins, but even though, there are things to ask the Lord:

10 The enemy reached out to take all her favorite things. She watched
    as pagans barged into her Sanctuary, those very people for whom
    you posted orders: keep out: this assembly off-limits.

How could pagans enter into Holy places? Shouldn't they be killed? How did the Lord let it happen?

11 All the people groaned, so desperate for food, so desperate to stay alive
    that they bartered their favorite things for a bit of breakfast:
    “O God, look at me! Worthless, cheap, abject!

21 “Oh, listen to my groans. No one listens, no one cares.
    When my enemies heard of the trouble you gave me, they cheered.
    Bring on Judgment Day! Let them get what I got!

22 “Take a good look at their evil ways and give it to them!
    Give them what you gave me for my sins.
    Groaning in pain, body and soul, I’ve had all I can take.”

Despite the punishment, Lamentations 1 finishes with a prayer: bring the enemies of Jerusalem on Judgement Day. Let them be punished.

No comments:

Post a Comment